Jul

On 13th July Dell announced several changes to its pricing strategy. According to the release, Dell plans to drastically reduce its use of mail-in rebates and other short-term promotional offers that are a regular feature of Dell’s overall strategy. Instead, customers will be able to avail the reduced prices immediately. This is definitely a step in the right direction since it makes it easier for customers to compare and choose products. What is driving Dell to make all these changes? A look at all the recent news (mostly bad) about Dell makes for some interesting reading.
Although Dell is a clear market leader in the PC industry, the first three months of 2006 saw Dell loosing a considerable share of its US PC market to its rivals. Dell’s first quarter performance is testimony to its falling share of the market. Its revenue grew by 6 percent, while HP’s grew by 10 percent. Research firm Gartner reports that PC sales of HP spiked from 13.8 percent to 14.9 percent while Dell’s dipped from 16.9 to 16.5 percent last year.
Dell has been very aggressive with its pricing strategy bringing the PC industry to the brink of a price war. The prices of PCs have been dropping at a faster pace than ever before. Intel dropped prices on most of its chips further fueling price drops from PC makers. Intel’s close rival AMD is yet to reach an agreement with Dell on a partnership. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when AMD and Dell launch a PC together, since Dell’s rivals HP and Gateway are already selling PCs with AMD chips.
Internally, Dell has largely lost the edge that it had in the early 90’s with its efficient supply chain model since all its rivals have caught on to that bandwagon. Early advantages obtained by off-shoring its technical support operations have been a challenge to maintain for Dell. A growing number of service complaints have forced Dell to re-look at its offshore strategy and they recently announced an investment of $100 million in initiatives to improve its customer support infrastructure.
Dell’s strategy of diversification into other consumer electronic products like televisions, printers, digital cameras etc. has also seen mixed success. Desktops and Notebooks still account for 85% of Dell’s revenues.
Dell’s stock has been taking a pounding and has been steadily loosing ground over all this news, which is not surprising since Wall Street does not really need a lot of bad news to loose faith in a company. For other (non Wall Street gibberish speaking) people like me, there is still hope. Personally, I’ve not had any bad experiences with my 2 Dell laptops, although the news of a laptop bursting into flames is a bit scary.
Having studied Dell and its strategy for my MBA Strategy class, I have come to appreciate the way Dell turned a relatively simple model into an industry leading force. I believe that Dell can survive this downward trend. The second quarter has traditionally been a bad time for PC makers since there is no back to school buying or holiday season during this time of the year. The new pricing strategy and huge new investments in customer support will definitely show positive results in the third quarter.

Comments

Amhed Herrera July 22, 2006 - 11:11 pm

But what can Dell do? They’ve started to fiddle with the idea of retail, opening stores in Dallas and New York, similar to Apple’s stores where you can test out the products before you decide to buy them and you have product specialists to assist you on a pre-configured system that you can take home right away or a custom designed computer that ca be later shipped or picked up in the same store.
Dell still has the highest recognition in product quality in the western hemisphere (at least that’s my perception) so I doubt that they can loose any more market share for now. I think they can make up for what they’ve lost in the retail sector: Most other brands have minimum presence in stores like BestBuy or CompUSA. The tricky part here is to guarantee customization on-site.
Either way, I love the price drops. Having bad experiences with Acer and Gateway in the last two years, I hope my recently order Intel Duo will bring me some peace of mind.

Mahesh Pillai July 25, 2006 - 6:29 pm

A day after this article was posted, on July 21st, Dell announced that its revenue and profits would be below expectations for its second fiscal quarter sending its stock into a spiral.
What has changed in the PC market since the 90s is the consumer preference for retail buying which is growing at a much faster rate than the overall PC market. Like you said, Dell has started making inroads into the retail market, but the pace is slower since their primary focus is still very much on the direct model through their website.
Their commercial PC market is also caught up in an upgrade cycle that won’t start till 2008. There is an interesting article on zdnet (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6097185.html) about this.
I think the key for Dell now will be to grow in the retail channel, improve their customer support, and develop healthy partnerships with AMD and Intel.

This is a topic that’s close to my heart… Take care! Where are your contact details though?

This is a topic which is close to my heart… Take care!
Exactly where are your contact details though?

English Bulldog Puppies August 1, 2013 - 12:33 am

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

ケイトスペード 店舗 October 28, 2013 - 1:37 pm

スーツ、下着、スポーツ マタニティも販売のため。、時代を超えた美しさと高の品質する必要がありますこれ救済を盗む。このパターンはにを置くをつかむオフ。高級バッグを持って取得する新しい典型的なステータスシンボル。% の url

プラダ バッグ October 30, 2013 - 7:49 am

I drop a comment when I like a article on a website or if I have something to add
to the conversation. Usually it is triggered by the fire
displayed in the post I read. And on this post Dell Pricing Strategy by MAHESH PILLAI
– GCMBA07 Alumn | Technology. I was moved enough to leave a thought ;-)
I actually do have a few questions for you if you tend not to mind.

Could it be just me or does it appear like a few of
these responses come across as if they are coming from brain
dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing at other places, I’d like to keep up
with you. Would you make a list every one of your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook
page or twitter feed?

シチズン 腕時計 October 30, 2013 - 9:07 pm

市場は熟したとハンター ポケット腕時計。。あそびです、パターンを機能によってフィルター処理された術キャットウォークから。どのような事項するリラックスとテレビショー オンライン。私は個人的に発見非常によくことができるマッキンリーのホッケーチームは、まともな年。

ロレックス 時計 October 31, 2013 - 5:23 am

必要があります地上でおそらく、海時間の行進によって。として、主題実用性、希少金属は、論理その可塑性ことができます選択で作られるに無限束図形の。

ベルト ブランド レディース October 31, 2013 - 8:59 pm

スポットに、お肌腫れ、開始 になる可能性があります赤と チクチク。アクションステージ とき、液体で満たされた大きな 水疱現れ始めます。あなたが住んでいる ある領域 の助けを借りて急速凍結融解サイクルと あなたの家族使用、火を開く断続的に。は、依存製品を除く完全なドラフト

Leticia November 1, 2014 - 9:48 pm

Some gamers think about it poor form to use game cheats.

หลวงพ่อรวย July 24, 2015 - 7:27 am

Hurrah! At last I got a weblog from where I can truly obtain valuable information regarding my study and knowledge.

รับถ่าย vdo July 24, 2015 - 9:25 am

Hi, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this blog post. It was funny.
Keep on posting!

Usually I don’t learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do so!
Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great
article.

I always spent my half an hour to read this web site’s articles or reviews daily
along with a mug of coffee.

รับซื้อ rolex July 25, 2015 - 4:38 am

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it,
you can be a great author. I will ensure that
I bookmark your blog and will often come back from now on.
I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job, have a nice weekend!

Bangkok office for rent July 25, 2015 - 6:56 pm

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any
suggestions?

ประตูม้วน July 26, 2015 - 5:26 am

Hello this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or
if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting
a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get advice from someone
with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

linux server management company July 26, 2015 - 12:09 pm

Linux is often a popular program.

Nice answers in return of this matter with firm arguments and explaining all about that.

ชิลเลอร์ July 27, 2015 - 3:10 pm

Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content.
Please let me know. Many thanks

Mikel September 23, 2015 - 10:12 pm

This $7500 surprise will soon be eliminated for single filers making Upto $95K if you
have no-tax credit or even more, $75K a year.

night club san francisco September 24, 2015 - 6:53 am

Subscribe here to receive periodic updates from NightlifeSF about programs as
well as occasions for the nightlife aand also entertainment industry.

Prateek June 9, 2017 - 5:33 am

That was great piece of information, Guillermo Montes. I think dell is going aggressive with it’s pricing. Lucky Patcher

Ajay June 9, 2017 - 5:37 am

Since Dell has a already a great customer service infrastructure as well great reputation, i think they are ending promotional offers for good. Lucky Patcher